return to main page

Proof of The Genealogy of King Arthur

Connecting two genealogy tables from

Geneaologies of the Saints

Geneaologies of the Saints (Welsh)

Geneaology of St. Dubricius

LivesSaintsTablesmarkup_missing Arthur&Sisters

***A more detailed presentation of these Charters is obtained at Source of the Book of Llandaff***

Then using the Book of Landaff entries below:

II-2. (1) LANN CUSTENHINN GARTHBENNI IN ERGYNG, OR ARCHENFIELD.
(Llangystennyn Grarthbenni in Ergyng, a church in Herefordshire.)

The Liber landavensis, Llyfr Teilo, or, The ancient register of the cathedral church of Llandaff; from mss. in the libraries of Hengwrt, and of Jesus college, Oxford: , William Jenkins Rees (1840)

Be it known to you that King Pebiau son of Erb, granted the Manor of Garthbenni, as far as the black Marsh between the wood, and field, and water, and the property of King Cystennyn, his father-in-law, beyond the river Wye, to God, and Dubricius, Archbishop of the See of Llandaff, and to Lunapeius his cousin, for his soul, and the writing of his name in the Book of Life, with all its liberty, without any earthly payment, and subjectiou, small and moderate, except to God, and to St. Dubricius, and those who serve in the church, for ever. And Pebiau held the written deed upon the hand of St. Dubricius, that the house of prayer and penance, and the episcopal residence might belong to the Bishops of Llandaff for ever. And in testimony thereof, he consecrated the church, and left there three of his disciples. Of the clergy, the witnesses are, first, Dubricius, Arwystyl, Ufelwy, leuan, Lunapeius, Cynfran, Gorfan; a nd of the laity, Pebiau the King was witness, Cystennyn, Gweuryr, Diheurwg, Cynddwyl, Gwyddgoll, Clem. Whoever will keep this alms given to God, may God keep him; and who will not preserve it, may God destroy him.

King Cystennyn is clearly King Constantine the Blessed (the footnote reaches the wrong conclusion) and since Pebiau is his son-in-law, he married a daughter of King Constantine.)

II-5. (4) OF CUM BARRUC. (In the Golden Valley, Herefordshire.)

The Liber landavensis, Llyfr Teilo, or, The ancient register of the cathedral church of Llandaff; from mss. in the libraries of Hengwrt, and of Jesus college, Oxford: , William Jenkins Rees (1840)

Know all persons, that the two sons of Pebiau, namely Cynvyn and Gwyddai, have given three uncias of land (324 acres) at Cum Barruc, to St. Dubricius, and to all his successors in the church of Llandaff, for ever, with all its liberty, without any payment to any mortal man, besides to St. Dubricius and his household, and attendants, and with all surrounding commonage in field and in waters, in wood and in pastures. The boundary of this land is, From the valley as far as Lech in length, and its breadth from Lech to the rock of Crita. The witnesses of this transaction are, of the clergy, Arwystyl, Junabui, Cynfarwy, Aelhaeam, Cynfarch; of the laity, the witnesses are Gwyddai and Cynfyn, Collbwy and Aircon. Whoever shall do wrong in this sacred matter, may they be cursed.

II-7. (6) OF CIL HAL.

The Liber landavensis, Llyfr Teilo, or, The ancient register of the cathedral church of Llandaff; from mss. in the libraries of Hengwrt, and of Jesus college, Oxford: , William Jenkins Rees (1840)

Erb, King of Gwent and Ergyng, observing that ambition, and the power of this world were of a perishable nature, took a farm, his inheritance, called Cil Hal, and devoutly gave it to St. Dubricius, Archbishop of the arch-monastery of Llandaff, and to his successors, with all its liberty and cominonage, in field and in pastures, in wood and in waters, without any heir, but according to the will, and in the power of the Bishop of Llandaff, without any payment to any mortal man, either great or moderate. The aforesaid King placed his hand upon the four gospels, whilst St. Dubricius held them with the aforesaid farm. Its boundary is, From the great marsh as far as Arganhell. May blessing attend the posterity of those who shall keep this grant; and whoever will violate, and separate it from the church of Llandaff, may they be cursed, and sent into eternal fire. Of the clergy, the witnesses are, Archbishop Dubricius, Aelhaeam, Iddner, Gwardogwy, Gwerabwy; of the laity, King Erb, Pebiau, Gwrthafan, Mabon, Cynddwyl.

GRANT OF MEURIG AP TEWDRIG

The Liber landavensis, Llyfr Teilo, or, The ancient register of the cathedral church of Llandaff; from mss. in the libraries of Hengwrt, and of Jesus college, Oxford: , William Jenkins Rees (1840)

IV-2. (17) CILCINHINN AND 12 MODII ( 108 acres) OF LAND AT CONUOY AND LANNGENEI.

Be it known to us that Meurig son of Tewdrig, King of Glamorgan, and his wife Onbrawst, daughter of Gwrgant the Great, have given to God and Oudoceus the Bishop, and to his holy predecessors Teilo and Dubricius, and to all his successors in the Church of Llandaff for their souls, and the souls of their parents in perpetual consecration, three modii (27 acres) of land at Cilcinhinn, and six modii (54 acres) at Conuoy, that is Lanngenei, and also Llandeilo Talybont, which was heretofore his property, free from every regal service, with all their dignity and liberty, refuge and free commonage to the present and future inhabitants in field and in woods, in water and in pastures. Of the laity, the witnesses are King Meurig, Onbrawst his wife, his sons Athruis (Arthur) and Idnerth, Cyndaf, Llyweith, Cadwal, Cadlew, Rhiacad, Cynfryn, Merthyr, Gwrgan; of the clergy, Oudoceus the eminent Bishop, Jacob Abbot of St. Cadoc, with his elders, Cadgen, Abbot of St. Illdyd, with his family, Eiddigim, Abbot of Docunni, Cynfian, Cynweon, Cynwar, Mainwg doctor, Gwynfwy master. And with those boundaries; ...


GRANT OF KING MORGAN

The Liber landavensis, Llyfr Teilo, or, The ancient register of the cathedral church of Llandaff; from mss. in the libraries of Hengwrt, and of Jesus college, Oxford: , William Jenkins Rees (1840)

IV-9. (24) THE VILLAGE OF GUILBIU.

King Morgan, son of Athruis (Arthur), with his heir Gwrhytir, granted the village of Guilbiu for his soul and the soul of his grandfather, Meurig son of Tewdrig, to Oudoceus the Bishop, and to the Church of Llandaff, and its pastors for ever, without any payment to mortal man, and with its liberty and whole commonage. Of the clergy, the witnesses are, Oudoceus the Bishop; Cyngen, Abbot of the valley of Carvan; Colfyd, Abbot of Illtyd; Cynfur, Trychan, Berthwyn, Cadwar. Of the laity, Morgan the King, Gwynau son of Ilud, Iddig son of Cedwr, Iwned son of Lledrig, Gwyddoc, Gwaednerth son of Gwallonir, Brochwael, Biheuddy, Gwengarth. The boundary of the land we have above mentioned, From the boundary of that village in which Meurig killed Cynfeddw, to a heap of stones, and to another, and afterwards as far as Nantauan. Whoever will keep it, may God keep him; and whoever will separate it from the Church of Llandaff may he be accursed. Amen.

IV-19. GRANT OF KING ITHAEL.

The Liber landavensis, Llyfr Teilo, or, The ancient register of the cathedral church of Llandaff; from mss. in the libraries of Hengwrt, and of Jesus college, Oxford: , William Jenkins Rees (1840)

THE CHURCH OF ELIDON (St. Lythan's, a pariah in Glamorganshire) AND
GUOCOF (probably Wenvoe, a pariah in Glamorganshire, adjoining St. Lythan's)

King Ithael son of Athruis (Arthur), when riding on a certain day through the land of Guocof, fell to the ground, owing to the stumbling of hîs horse; and rising unhurt, he gave thanks to God, and looking towards the church of Elidon, he said, with hands lifted up to God, " I give that church which " I behold, with all its land, and the village of Guocof, wherein I stand, to Almighty God, who preserved me unhurt in danger." And calling to him Bishop Oudoceus, with the three Abbots, Cyngen, Abbot of Carvan valley; Colfryd, Abbot of Illtyd; Lwdhwfr, Abbot of Docunni; he gave it to Bishop Oudoceus, and to all his successors in the Church of St. Peter, and to St. Dubricius, and St. Teilo, at Llandaff, with all its liberty, and all commonage, to the present and future inhabitants perpetually in those lands, in field and in woods, in water and in pastures, every where throughout the region of Glewyssig. Of the clergy, the witnesses are Trychan, Sadoc, Cynfran, Cynuchan, Cynwan, Cynweau, Cynleg, Oran, Cynwain, and Oudoceus the Bishop; of the laity, King Ithael, Brochwael, Cellan, Adgar, Cyngar. The boundary of those villages is,...

V-6. GRANT OF KING GWRGAN.

The Liber landavensis, Llyfr Teilo, or, The ancient register of the cathedral church of Llandaff; from mss. in the libraries of Hengwrt, and of Jesus college, Oxford: , William Jenkins Rees (1840)

LANN LOUDEN IN ERGYNG. (LUNAPEIUS, BISHOP.) (Herefordshire)

Be it known that Gwrgan son of Cynfyn, King of Ergyng, gave to Bishop Lunapeius, and to St, Dubricius, and to St. Teilo, and the Church of Llandaff, and all its pastors for ever, the mansion of Louden, with three uncias of land (324 acres), and with all its liberty, without any payment, to any mortal man, great or small, besides to the Church of Llandaff and its Bishops, and with all commonage in field and in woods, in water and in pastures. Of the clergy, the witnesses are, Bishop Lunapeius; Comereg, Abbot of Mochros; Lluddneu, Abbot of Bolgros; Aelhaiam, Abbot of Lannguorboc; Gworddog, Abbot of Lanndewi; Bithen, prince of Lanndougarth; Gwenwor, Abbot of Lanngarthbenni; and his pupil Gwrwareu; of the laity, King Gwrgan, and his sons Morgan and Caradoc, Gufrwc, Gwrwthon son of Mabon, Gwrthafan, Gwyddgon son of Gwrthafar, Cynog, Gworgol son of Clemwys. Whoever will keep it, may God keep him; and whoever will separate it from the Church of Llandaff, may he be accursed.

V-8. (45) GRANT OF KING ATHRUIS (ARTHUR).

The Liber landavensis, Llyfr Teilo, or, The ancient register of the cathedral church of Llandaff; from mss. in the libraries of Hengwrt, and of Jesus college, Oxford: , William Jenkins Rees (1840)

LANNCINMARCH (Uancynfarch, now called St. Kinemark, near the town of Chepstow),
AND LANNDEUI (Llanddewifach, or Dewstow, 4.5 miles S.W. from Chepstow),
AND LANN JUNABUI, LANNGUORBOC, AND THE MANSION OF MAFURN,
AND LANNCALCUCH, AND LANNCERNIU.

Be it known to the clergy and people of southern Britain, that Athruis (Arthur), King of the region of Gwent, granted to God, and to St. Dubricius, and St. Teilo, and in the hand of Bishop Comereg, the church of Cynfarch the disciple of St. Dubricius, with all its territory, that is, The Manor of Troumur, and Lanndeui, and Lann Junabui, and Lann Guoruoe, in the field of Molochu, and the mansion of Mafum, and Lanncalcuch, and Lann Gerniu, with all their land, without any heir, but according to the will of the Bishops of Llandaff, and with all their liberty, and complete commonage in field and in woods, in water and in pastures, for ever. And King Athruis (Arthur) went round the whole territory in its circuit, with the sprinkling of the dust of the sepulchre of St. Cynfarch the disciple of St. Dubricius, throughout the whole boundary, the holy cross being carried before, with the sprinkling of consecrated water; and in the presence of Bishop Comereg, with his clergy, the King alone carried the Gospel on his back, and confirmed for ever the alms which had been given for the soul of his father Meurig; and a blessing being given to him, and an absolution at the same time pronounced, he commended himself, soul and body, to the present Bishop, and his successors in the Church of Llandaff. Of the clergy, the witnesses are, Comereg, Bishop; Lluddon, Abbot of Bolgros; Aelhaiarn, Abbot of Lannguoraoc; Gwrddogwy, Abbot of Lanndeui; Gwernabwy, Gwrhydpenni, Gwrfarwy of Lanneineon, Bithen of Lannceuid ; of the laity, King Athruis (Arthur), Cyweddiau, Gwrwal, with his land, Cadwyddan, Idwallon, Morgan. Whoever will keep it, may God keep him; and whoever will separate it from the Church of Llandaff, may he be accursed. Its boundary is, ...

GRANT OF MORGAN SON OF ATHRUIS

The Liber landavensis, Llyfr Teilo, or, The ancient register of the cathedral church of Llandaff; from mss. in the libraries of Hengwrt, and of Jesus college, Oxford: , William Jenkins Rees (1840)

V-1. (56) THE CHURCH OF YSTRAT-HAFREN.

Be it known that Morgan son of Athruis (Arthur) gave the church of Ystrat-hafren, with an uncia of land (106 acres), to God, and to St. Dubricius, and St. Teilo, and in the hand of Bishop Berthgwyn, and to all his successors in the Church of Llandaff. Its boundary is, — From the wood to the sea, and as far as the mansion of Ceuid, and with all its liberty in field and in woods, in water and in pastures. Its boundary is, — From the upper part of the grove Ili to the sea, and from Glasgwern to Louern. Of the clergy, the witnesses are, Berthgwyn, Bishop; Samuel, master; Trychan; of the the laity, King Morgan, Ithael, Bywhaiara, Cynfyn son of Ilwyfilw, Bageu, Gwrwython son of Elcon. Whoever will keep it, may God keep him; and whoever will sepa-rate it from the Church of Llandaff, may he be accursed.

Afterwards King Ithael son of Morgan, when the afore- said church with its land was taken away from the Church of Llandaff and its pastor Berthgwyn, by violence and laical invasion, restored it to the same Bishop Berthgwyn, and his successors for ever, complete, vrith the aforesaid liberty and boundaries, and all wears for fisheries on every side, and with the aforesaid witnesses.

Arthur
Arthur son of Onbrawst daughter of Gwrgant Mawr son of Cynfyn son of Pepiau (son of Erb) and daugther of Constantine son of Maxen Wledic and Elen daughter of Eudaf
Arthur son of Meurig son of Tewdrig son of Teithfalt son of Nynniaw son of Erb son of Erbic son of Meurig son of Caradog Strong Arm
St. Pelig confirms Maximus marrying Elen the daughter of Eudaf
Peblig of Caernarfon son of Maxen Wledic and Elen daughter of Eudaf:
Bonedd y Seint 64: Peblic Sant yn y Caer yn Aruon, m. Maxen Wledic, aherawdyr Ruuein, ac Elen uerch Eudaf y mam].
return to main page